Thursday, January 19, 2017

15 Paintings, Streets of Paris, by its Artists from 1850-1910 - Part 7 - With Footnotes

Pierre-Pierre-Auguste Renoir, (1841–1919)
Patineurs au bois de
Boulogne/Skaters in the Bois de Boulogne, c. 1868
Oil on canvas
72 × 90 cm (28.3 × 35.4 in)
Private collection
       
Skaters in the Bois de Boulogne is an oil-on-canvas landscape painting by the French artist Pierre-Auguste Renoir, created during the winter of 1868. The painting depicts a snowscape with a large number of Parisians, young and old, spending leisure time on a frozen park lake. Due to Renoir's strong dislike of cold temperatures and snow, the piece is one of his few winter landscapes. More

The Bois de Boulogne is a large public park located along the western edge of the 16th arrondissement of Paris. It was created between 1852 and 1858 during the reign of the Emperor Louis Napoleon.

It covers an area of 845 hectares (2090 acres),[2] which is about two and a half times the area of Central Park in New York and slightly less (88%) than that of Richmond Park in London.

Within the boundaries of the Bois de Boulogne are an English landscape garden with several lakes and a cascade; two smaller botanical and landscape gardens, the Château de Bagatelle and the Pré-Catelan; a zoo and amusement park in the Jardin d'Acclimatation; The Jardin des Serres d'Auteuil, a complex of greenhouses holding a hundred thousand plants; two tracks for horse racing, the Hippodrome de Longchamp and the Auteuil Hippodrome; a tennis stadium where the French Open tennis tournament is held each year; and other attractions. More Bois de Boulogne

Pierre-Auguste Renoir, commonly known as Auguste Renoir (25 February 1841 – 3 December 1919), was a French artist who was a leading painter in the development of the Impressionist style. As a celebrator of beauty, and especially feminine sensuality, it has been said that "Renoir is the final representative of a tradition which runs directly from Rubens to Watteau."

He was the father of actor Pierre Renoir (1885–1952), filmmaker Jean Renoir (1894–1979) and ceramic artist Claude Renoir (1901–69). He was the grandfather of the filmmaker Claude Renoir (1913–1993), son of Pierre. More

Victor Guerrier, (1893-1968)
Paris - The Metro, c.1920
Canvas, Oil Paint
29 in.Hx39.5 in.W
Flackwell Heath, GB

A large oil on canvas depicting an image of the hustle and bustle of figures arriving and leaving the metro in Paris. 

The first line opened without ceremony on 19 July 1900, during the World's Fair (Exposition Universelle). The system expanded quickly until the First World War and the core was complete by the 1920s. Extensions into suburbs and Line 11 were built in the 1930s. The network reached saturation after World War II with new trains to allow higher traffic, but further improvements have been limited by the design of the network and in particular the short distances between stations. More Paris Metro

Victor Guerrier (1893-1968) was born and trained in Lyon living much of his life at Saint Cyr au Mont d’Or. He began his career as an illustrator but made his name painting Belle Epoque subjects and Parisian life between the wars. 

Clearly inspired by the work of Impressionist masters such Manet and Toulouse-Lautrec his work captures and celebrates the diversity of life in Paris at the turn of the century; from the nightclubs of Montmartre to the cafés of the Champ-Elysses, Guerrier depicts French high society in its pomp. There is often a subtle narrative to the work, where a stolen glance speaks volumes. Further evidence of Manet’s work is evident in his figures, who often stare directly at the viewer, creating images that are, at once, engaging and arresting, while the fashions of the age are beautifully rendered with a vivid palette and deftly applied impasto. 

Guerrier also worked in the Alps and Algeria producing a number of Orientalist subjects along with a series of paintings in St Paul de Vence. He exhibited at the Salon de Printemps. More Guerrier

Victor Guerrier, 1893-1968 (French)
Woman in cafe
oil on canvas
100 x 73 cm (39 x 28 in.) 

Victor Guerrier, 1893-1968 (French), see above

Maurice Utrillo, 1883 - 1955
SACRÉ-COEUR DE MONTMARTRE ET SQUARE ST. PIERRE, c. 1933
Gouache on paper
12 7/8 by 18 7/8 in., 32.8 by 48 cm
Private Collection

The Basilica of the Sacred Heart of Paris is a Roman Catholic church and minor basilica, dedicated to the Sacred Heart of Jesus. The basilica is located at the summit of the butte Montmartre, the highest point in the city. Sacré-Cœur is a double monument, political and cultural, both a national penance for the defeat of France in the 1871 Franco-Prussian War and the socialist Paris Commune of 1871 crowning its most rebellious neighborhood, and an embodiment of conservative moral order

The Sacré-Cœur Basilica was designed by Paul Abadie. Construction began in 1875 and was finished in 1914. It was consecrated after the end of World War I in 1919. More Basilica

Maurice Utrillo (26 December 1883 – 5 November 1955), was a French painter who specialized in cityscapes. Born in the Montmartre quarter of Paris, France, Utrillo is one of the few famous painters of Montmartre who was born there.

Utrillo was the son of the artist Suzanne Valadon (born Marie-Clémentine Valadon), who was then an eighteen-year-old artist's model. She never revealed who was the father of her child; speculation exists that he was the offspring from a liaison with an equally young amateur painter.

When a mental illness took hold of the 21-year-old Utrillo in 1904, his mother encouraged him to take up painting. He soon showed real artistic talent. With no training beyond what his mother taught him, he drew and painted what he saw in Montmartre. After 1910 his work attracted critical attention, and by 1920 he was internationally acclaimed. In 1928, the French government awarded him the Cross of the Légion d'honneur. Throughout his life, however, he was interned in mental asylums repeatedly. More Maurice Utrillo

Victor Guerrier, 1893-1968 (French) 
Woman with fur sleeve at Place de la République 
Oil on canvas 
100 w: 81 cm

The Place de la République is a square in Paris, located on the border between the 3rd, 10th and 11th arrondissements. It is named after the French Republic and was called the Place du Château-d'Eau until 1879. The Métro station of République lies beneath the square.

The square was originally called the Place du Château d'Eau, named after a huge fountain designed by Pierre-Simon Girard and built on the site in 1811. Émile de La Bédollière wrote that the water came from la Villette and that the fountain was "superb" in character. In 1867, Gabriel Davioud built a more impressive fountain in the square, which (like the first fountain) was decorated with lions. The square took its current shape as part of Baron Hausmann's vast renovation of Paris. More The Place de la République

Victor Guerrier, 1893-1968 (French), see above

Maurice Utrillo, 1883 - 1955
MONTMARTRE AVEC VUE DE SACRÉ-COEUR, circa 1950
Pastel and gouache heightened with oil on paper
15 by 11 1/4 in., 38 by 31 cm
Private Collection

Maurice Utrillo (26 December 1883 – 5 November 1955), see above

Pierre-Eugène Montézin, 1874-1946
RUE SOUS LA PLUIE
Oil on canvas
21 1/2 by 21 1/2 in., 54.5 by 54.5 cm
Private Collection

Pierre Eugene Montézin (1874 - 1946) had a long and distinguished career as a landscape painter working in the style and according to the theories and principles, of the 
Impressionists. Montézin was born in Paris, 16 October 1874, his father being a designer of lace who apprenticed his son to the workshop of a decorator specialising in murals. However, Montézin also studied under the painter Ernest Quost (1844-1931) and it was Quost together with Montézin’s interest in the Impressionists that persuaded him to embark on a career as a painter. 

Montézin first exhibited at the Paris Salon in 1903 and continued to do so, being awarded a third class medal in 1907 and a second class medal in 1910. Montézin enlisted in 1914 and served throughout the Great War. On his return to painting he spent a year at Dreux and at Moret, painting landscapes of the region. In 1920 he was awarded the Rosa Bonheur prize at the Salon but exhibited more frequently at the Salon des Artistes Française. Here he was 
awarded the medal of honour and subsequently elected to the Jury Committee of the Artistes Française and also elected a member of the Academie des Beaux-Arts. In 1923 he was made Chevalier d’Honneur. More

Jules Hervé, 1887 - 1981
PARIS, LE JARDIN DES TUILERIES
Oil on canvas
32 by 40 in., 81.3 by 101.6 cm
Private Collection

The Tuileries Garden (Jardin des Tuileries) is a public garden located between the Louvre Museum and the Place de la Concorde in the 1st arrondissement of Paris. Created by Catherine de Medici as the garden of the Tuileries Palace in 1564, it was eventually opened to the public in 1667, and became a public park after the French Revolution. In the 19th and 20th century, it was the place where Parisians celebrated, met, promenaded, and relaxed. More

Jules René Hervé, France (1887-1981) was born in 1887 in Langres,  in Eastern France. Hervé began his formal art studies in an evening school in Langres, France.  He traveled to Paris to continue his studies at the School of Decorative Arts, and later at the Fine Arts School. Herve exhibited paintings at the Salon of French Artists in 1910.  In 1914 he received the Silver Medal from the Association of French Artists.  Soon after, he volunteered to join the army during World War I.  From 1911 to 1943, he taught painting to many generations of young artists.

Jules René Hervé represents the purest tradition of French art. His paintings display a marvelous harmony of color and light. While his paintings are reminiscent of the earlier impressionist movement, Herve uses short brushstrokes to render his paintings focusing on the interplay of light and color.

Paintings by Hervé may be found in numerous museums in France; in the Petite Palais in Pads, at Langres, Troues Dijon, Saint-Etienne, Tourcoing, and Annecy. His work is also displayed abroad in the Chicago Museum and in Casablanca and in private international collections.

Named after an engineer-entrepreneur Mary Christophe Marie, the bridge itself was constructed from 1614 until 1635. One of the oldest bridges in Paris, Pont Marie is near Notre Dame. More Jules René Hervé

Victor Guerrier, 1893-1968 (French) 
Woman with umbrella, The Place de la Concorde 
Oil on canvas 
60 w: 73 cm

The Place de la Concorde is one of the major public squares in Paris. Iit is the largest square in the French capital and is located in the city's eighth arrondissement, at the eastern end of the Champs-Élysées.

The place was designed by Ange-Jacques Gabriel in 1755 as a moat-skirted octagon between the Champs-Élysées to the west and the Tuileries Garden to the east. Decorated with statues and fountains, the area was named Place Louis XV to honor the king at that time.

During the French Revolution the statue of Louis XV of France was torn down and the area renamed Place de la Révolution. The new revolutionary government erected the guillotine in the square, and it was here that King Louis XVI was executed on 21 January 1793.

In 1795, under the Directory, the square was renamed Place de la Concorde as a gesture of reconciliation after the turmoil of the French Revolution. After the Bourbon Restoration of 1814, the name was changed back to Place Louis XV, and in 1826 the square was renamed Place Louis XVI. After the July Revolution of 1830 the name was returned to Place de la Concorde and has remained that way since. More The Place de la Concorde

Victor Guerrier, 1893-1968 (French), see above

Jean Dufy, 1888 - 1964
PARIS, LE CARROUSEL DU LOUVRE
Watercolor and gouache on paper mounted on card
17 5/8 by 23 3/4 in., 44.8 by 60.3 cm
Private Collection

The Carrousel du Louvre is a mall in Paris, France. The name refers to two nearby sites, the Louvre museum and the Place du Carrousel.

Jean Dufy (b Le Havre, France, 1888; d La Boissière, 1964) French Painter. Following his service in the military, from 1910-1912, Jean Dufy relocated to Paris. Inspired by the work of Braque and Picasso, Dufy created watercolors that expressed a heightened understanding of color and light. In the mid-1920s, Jean Dufy became captivated by the music of the time, such as Darius Millaud and Francis Poulenc, and incorporated this interest into his artwork. While depicting orchestral and musical subjects, Dufy later became enchanted by the coast of Northern France and began to create majestic and effecting landscapes. Throughout the 1950s Dufy explored Western Europe and North America, but inevitably returned to his watercolors and oils of Paris. Just two months after the death of his wife, Ismérie, Jean Dufy died in 1964 in La BoissiereMore


Konstantin Korovin (1861-1939)
Paris.Cafe de la Paix, c. 1906
Oil on canvas
Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia

The Café de la Paix is a famous café designed by Alfred Armand, who also designed the InterContinental Paris Le Grand Hotel in which the café is located, the florid interior decor is only exceeded by that of Charles Garnier's Opéra (located across the plaza).  More Café de la Paix 

Konstantin Alekseyevich Korovin (1861 – 1939) was a leading Russian Impressionist painter. Konstantin was born in Moscow. His father, Aleksey Mikhailovich Korovin, earned a university degree and was more interested in arts and music than in the family business. In 1875 Korovin entered the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture.

In 1885 he then traveled to Paris and Spain. "Paris was a shock for me … Impressionists… in them I found everything I was scolded for back home in Moscow", he later wrote. In 1888 he traveled to Italy and Spain. He painted in the Impressionist, and later in the Art Nouveau, styles.

Korovin's subsequent works were strongly influenced by his travels to the north. Korovin painted a large number of landscapes. The paintings are built on a delicate web of shades of grey. The etude style of these works was typical for Korovin's art of the 1890s. Using material from his trip, Korovin designed the Far North pavilion at the 1896 All Russia Exhibition in Nizhny Novgorod. He painted ten big canvasses for the pavilion as well, depicting various aspects of life in the northern and Arctic regions. 

In 1900 Korovin designed the Central Asia section of the Russian Empire pavilion at the Paris World Fair and was awarded the Legion of Honour by the French government.

In the beginning of the 20th century, Korovin focused his attention on the theater. In 1905 Korovin became an Academician of Painting and in 1909–1913 a professor at the Moscow School of Painting, Sculpture and Architecture.

During World War I Korovin worked as a camouflage consultant at the headquarters of one of the Russian armies. In 1923 he moved to Paris to cure his heart condition and help his handicapped son. There was supposed to be a large exhibition of Korovin's works, but the works were stolen and Korovin was left penniless. For years, he produced the numerous Russian Winters and Paris Boulevards just to make ends meet.

In the last years of his life he produced stage designs for many of the major theatres of Europe, America, Asia and Australia, the most famous of which is his scenery for the Turin Opera House's production of Nikolai Rimsky-Korsakov's The Golden Cockerel.

Korovin died in Paris on 11 September 1939. More

Konstantin Korovin (1861-1939)
Paris. boulevard Kapucinok, Date: 1906
Boulevard des Capucines
Oil on canvas
Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia

The Boulevard des Capucines is one of the four 'grands boulevards' in Paris, a chain of boulevards running east-west that also includes Boulevard de la Madeleine, Boulevard des Italiens, and Boulevard Montmartre.

The name comes from a beautiful convent of Capuchin nuns whose garden was on the south side of the boulevard prior to the French Revolution.

The former name, Rue Basse-du-Rempart, suggests that, in the beginning, the street paralleled the city wall of Paris. Then, when the wall was destroyed, the street was widened and became a boulevard. More Boulevard des Capucines

Konstantin Korovin (1861-1939), see above

Konstantin Korovin (1861-1939)
A Parisian Balcony, c. 1908
Oil on canvas
Tretyakov Gallery, Moscow, Russia

Konstantin Korovin (1861-1939), see above

Pierre Bonnard, 1867 - 1894
People on the street, c. 1894 
Oil on canvas
24 × 25 cm
Private Collection

Pierre Bonnard (3 October 1867 — 23 January 1947) was a French painter and printmaker, as well as a founding member of the Post-Impressionist group of avant-garde painters Les Nabis. Bonnard preferred to work from memory, using drawings as a reference, and his paintings are often characterized by a dreamlike quality. The intimate domestic scenes, for which he is perhaps best known, often include his wife Marthe de Meligny.

Bonnard has been described as "the most thoroughly idiosyncratic of all the great twentieth- century painters", and the unusual vantage points of his compositions rely less on traditional modes of pictorial structure than voluptuous color, poetic allusions and visual wit. Identified as a late practitioner of Impressionism in the early 20th century, Bonnard has since been recognized for his unique use of color and his complex imagery. More

Pierre Bonnard, 1867 - 1894
Street In Eragny-Sur-Oise Or Dogs In Eragny
Oil on wood
37 cm (14.57 in.), Width: 27 cm (10.63 in.)
National Gallery of Art - Washington DC  (United States - Washington)

Éragny (sometimes unofficially called Éragny-sur-Oise) is a commune in the northwestern suburbs of Paris. It is located 26.3 km (16.3 mi) from the center of Paris, in the "new town" of Cergy-Pontoise. More Eragny

Pierre Bonnard (3 October 1867 — 23 January 1947) see above


Acknowledgement: Sotheby'sInvaluable

Images are copyright of their respective owners, assignees or others