Monday, May 9, 2016

12 Paintings, 19TH CENTURY PAINTINGS on the streets of Paris

loiseau, gustave la rue du clignan | cityscape | sotheby's n09498lot8w3c9en:
Gustave Loiseau, 1865 - 1935
LA RUE DU CLIGNANCOURT, PARIS, c. 1924
Oil on canvas
23 7/8 by 19 5/8 in., 60.8 by 50 cm

Gustave Loiseau (3 October 1865 in Paris – 10 October 1935 in Paris) was a French Post-Impressionist painter, remembered above all for his landscapes and scenes of Paris streets. More

béraud, jean bois de boulogn | carriage scenes | sotheby's n09499lot8z5jzen:
Jean Béraud, 1849 - 1935
BOIS DE BOULOGNE 
Oil on canvas
18 by 23 in., 45.7 by 58.4 cm


The Bois de Boulogne is a large public park located along the western edge of Paris. It was created between 1852 and 1858 during the reign of the Emperor Louis Napoleon. It is the second-largest park in Paris, about two and a half times the area of Central Park in New York.

Within the boundaries of the Bois de Boulogne are an English landscape garden with several lakes and a cascade; two smaller botanical and landscape gardens, the Château de Bagatelle and the Pré-Catelan; a zoo and amusement park in the Jardin d'Acclimatation; The Jardin des Serres d'Auteuil, a complex of greenhouses holding a hundred thousand plants; two tracks for horse racing, the Hippodrome de Longchamp and the Auteuil Hippodrome; a tennis stadium where the French Open tennis tournament is held each year; and other attractions. More

Jean Béraud, see above

béraud, jean les grands boulevards | cityscape | sotheby's n09499lot8z5jden:
Jean Béraud, 1849 - 1935
LES GRANDS BOULEVARDS (CAFÉ AMÉRICAIN)
Oil on panel
14 1/4 by 21 in., 36.2 by 53.3 cm


As a testament to the vital role of the café in Paris society, Johnson’s Universal Cyclopaedia’s 1896 entry for the city carefully described each establishment and its patrons: the “bankers and brokers predominate at the Café Riche; at the Café de Madrid is the headquarters of journalists; actors are numerous at the Café de Suède and the Café des Variétés” while at “the Café Américain congregate literary men and painters” (“Paris,” Johnson’s Universal Cyclopaedia, vol. VI, New York, 1896, p. 442).

Jean Béraud, see above

béraud, jean refuge, la place de l | cityscape | sotheby's n09499lot8z5k8en:
Jean Béraud, 1849 - 1935
REFUGE, LA PLACE DE L'OPÉRA
Oil on Canvas
13 3/4 by 10 in., 35 by 25.4 cm


The Place de l'Opéra is a square in Paris. It was built at the same time as the Opéra Garnier (designed by Charles Garnier), which is located on it, and after which it is named. Both structures were part of the Haussmannian redesign of Paris under Napoleon III of France. More

Jean Béraud, see above

galien-laloue, eugène le march | architectural | sotheby's n09499lot8z5rren:
Jean Béraud, 1849 - 1935
LE MARCHÉ DES FLEURS À LA CITÉ
Gouache on cardbord
7 7/8 by 12 5/8 in., 20 by 32.1 cm


Entirely dedicated to flowers, the Île de la Cité is located on Place Louis Lépine between the Notre-Dame Cathedral and Sainte-Chapelle chapel, the flower market has attracted avid gardeners and curious passers by since 1830. Both covered and open-air, the market is mainly formed by metal pavilion from the 1900s. More

Jean Béraud, see above

Edouard Henri Leon Cortès (French, 1882-1969) L'arc de triomphe 13 x 18in (33 x 45.7cm)
Edouard Henri Leon Cortès (French, 1882-1969)
L'arc de triomphe 
signed 'Edouard Cortès' (lower right)
oil on canvas
13 x 18in (33 x 45.7cm)

Edouard Henri Leon Cortès (French, 1882-1969) La Porte St. Denis 13 x 18in (33 x 45.8cm)
Edouard Henri Leon Cortès (French, 1882-1969)
La Porte St. Denis 
signed 'Edouard Cortès'
oil on canvas
13 x 18in (33 x 45.8cm)

Edouard Henri Leon Cortès (French, 1882-1969) Bouquinistes along the Seine 13 x 18in (33 x 45.8cm)
Edouard Henri Leon Cortès (French, 1882-1969)
Bouquinistes along the Seine 
signed 'Edouard Cortès' (lower left)
oil on canvas
13 x 18in (33 x 45.8cm)

Antoine Blanchard (French, 1910-1988) Le Théâtre du Châtelet 13 x 18in (33 x 45.7cm)
Antoine Blanchard (French, 1910-1988)
Le Théâtre du Châtelet 
signed 'Antoine Blanchard' (lower left)
oil on canvas
13 x 18in (33 x 45.7cm)

galien-laloue, eugène la place de | cityscape | sotheby's n09499lot8z5ryen:
Jean Béraud, 1849 - 1935
LA PLACE DE LA RÉPUBLIQUE (NEIGE) 
Gouache on paper
8 3/8 by 13 1/4 in., 21.3 by 33.7 cm


The Place de la République is a square in Paris. It is named after the French Republic and was called the Place du Château-d'Eau until 1879. As the Place du Château d'Eau, named after a huge fountain designed by Pierre-Simon Girard and built on the site in 1811. La Bédollière wrote that the water came from la Villette and that the fountain was "superb" in character. In 1867, Gabriel Davioud built a more impressive fountain in the square, which (like the first fountain) was decorated with lions. The square took its current shape as part of Baron Hausmann's vast renovation of Paris. Haussmann also built new barracks on the cities, to garrison troops useful in times of civil unrest. More

Jean Béraud, see above

galien-laloue, eugène la place | architectural | sotheby's n09499lot8z5rven:
Eugène Galien-Laloue, 1854-1941
LA PLACE DE LA RÉPUBLIQUE
Gouache on paper
8 1/2 by 12 3/4 in., 21.6 by 32.4 cm


The Place de la République, see above

Eugène Galien-Laloue (1854–1941) was a French artist of French-Italian parents and was born in Paris on December 11, 1854. He was a populariser of street scenes, usually painted in autumn or winter. His paintings of the early 1900s accurately represent the era in which he lived: a happy, bustling Paris, la Belle Époque, with horse-drawn carriages, trolley cars and its first omnibuses. Galien-Laloue's works are valued not only for their contribution to 20th-century art, but for the actual history, which they document. His work can be seen at the Musée des Beaux-Arts, Louvier; Musée des Beaux-Arts, La Rochelle; Mulhouse, France. More

galien-laloue, eugène la gare | architectural | sotheby's n09499lot8z5rten:
Eugène Galien-Laloue, 1854-1941
LA GARE DE L'EST
Gouache on paper
7 1/2 by 12 1/4 in., 19 by 31 cm


Gare de l'Est, ("East station" in English) is one of the six large train termini in Paris. It is in the 10th arrondissement, not far from the Gare du Nord, facing the Boulevard de Strasbourg, part of the north-south axis of Paris created by Baron Haussmann. It is one of the largest and the oldest railway stations in Paris, the western terminus of the Paris–Strasbourg railway and the Paris–Mulhouse railway.

The Gare de l'Est was opened in 1849 by the Compagnie du Chemin de Fer de Paris à Strasbourg (the Paris-Strasbourg Railway Company) under the name "Strasbourg platform." This platform corresponds today with the hall for main-line trains, and was designed by the architect François Duquesnay. It was renamed the "Gare de l'Est" in 1854, after the expansion of service to Mulhouse. More

Eugène Galien-Laloue, see above






Images are copyright of their respective owners, assignees or others
Acknowledgement: Sotheby's