Saturday, December 3, 2016

15 Paintings, PORTRAIT OF A LADY, of the 18th & 19th C., with Footnotes. #7

József Rippl-Rónai (1861–1927) 
Woman Dressed in Polka Dot Dress, c. 1889
Oil on canvas
Height: 187 cm (73.6 in). Width: 75 cm (29.5 in).
Hungarian National Gallery, Budapest, Hungary

József Rippl-Rónai (23 May 1861 – 25 November 1927) was a Hungarian painter. He first introduced modern artistic movements in the Hungarian art. He was born in Kaposvár. After his studies at the High School there, he went to study in Budapest, where he obtained a degree in pharmacology. In 1884 he travelled to Munich to study painting at the Academy. Two years later he obtained a grant which enabled him to move to Paris and study with Munkácsy, the most important Hungarian realist painter. In 1888 he met the members of Les Nabis and under their influence he painted his first important work, The Inn at Pont-Aven, a deeply felt work notable for its dark atmosphere. His first big success was his painting My Grandmother (1894). He also painted in a portrait of Hungarian pianist and composer Zdenka Ticharich (1921).

József Rippl-Rónai, (1861–1927) 
Parisian Woman, c. 1891
Oil on canvas
Height: 46 cm (18.1 in). Width: 38 cm (15 in).
Private collection

Later he returned to Hungary, where critical reception was at first lukewarm, but he eventually had a very successful exhibition entitled "Rippl-Rónai Impressions 1890-1900". He believed that for an artist not only is his body of work significant, but also his general modus vivendi, even including the clothes he wore. He thus became interested in design, which led to commissions such as the dining room and the entire furnishings of the Andrássy palace, and a stained-glass window in the Ernst Museum, (both in Budapest). Between 1911 and 1913 his exhibitions in Frankfurt, Munich and Vienna were highly successful. His last major work, a portrait of his friend Zorka, was painted in 1919, and in 1927 he died at his home, the Villa Róma in Kaposvár. More

George Lawrence Bulleid, A.R.W.S. (1858-1933)
The vicar's daughter
Pencil and watercolour
9 x 8.1/4 in. (22.8 x 21 cm.)
Private Collection

George Lawrence Bulleid, (1858 - 1933) is best known as a painter of highly finished oil paintings and watercolours of subjects from classical antiquity, in the manner of Lawrence Alma-Tadema and Albert Moore. He also painted mythological subjects, floral still lives and portraits. Bulleid worked mainly in watercolour, and exhibited regularly at the Royal Academy, the Royal Watercolour Society, of which he was elected an associate member in 1889, and the Royal Institute of Painters in Watercolours. As Christopher Wood has written of Bulleid, ‘Although his range of subjects is narrow, consisting almost entirely of female figures in classical settings, the intense clarity of his vision, combined with an astonishing level of technical accomplishment, mark him out as much more than just another Alma-Tadema follower. More

BERNARD UHLE, (german/american 1847-1930)
Portrait of Harriet Heverton, c. 1884
Oil on canvas
50" x 35 ¼"
Private Collection

Uhle, Albrecht Bernhard (1847-1930) – Born in Chemnitz, Germany, Bernhard Uhle came to the Unite States in 1851. At the age of fifteen he entered the Pennsylvania Academy. Uhle worked as a photographer from 1867 to 1875. In 1875 he returned to Germany to study with the history painter Franz Xaver Barth and the genre artist Alexander Wagner. In 1877 Uhle returned to Philadelphia and set up a studio as a portrait painter and gained the reputation of being one of the city’s outstanding portraitists. Also an etcher, he joined the Philadelphia Society of Etchers in 1880. He was on the faculty at the Pennsylvania Academy from 1886 to 1890 and took over the portrait class once run by Thomas Eakins. Uhle was a member of the Sketch Club from 1889 to 1897. More

Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov (RUSSIAN 1894-1971)
Girl in an Interior, 1940
Oil on canvas
96.5 x 67.5 cm (38 x 26 1/2 in.)
Private Collection

Alexander Samokhvalov is regarded as one of the founders and brightest representatives of the Leningrad school of painting. The present lot, Girl in an Interior reflects the pre-war life of the Leningrad intelligentsia, and is a continuation of the series of Samokhvalov’s works dedicated to young Russian women,– builders of new life. This composition was created in 1940 – three-year after the artist’s famous Girl in a Football Shirt (below) was awarded the gold medal at the International Art Fair in Paris, (which also included Pablo Picasso’s Guernica). The tenderness, refinement, and intimacy of this portrait is a rare work by a master of Soviet Socialist Realism. More

Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov ( 21 August 1894 - 20 August 1971) was a Soviet Russian painter, watercolorist, graphic artist, illustrator, art teacher and Honored Arts Worker of the RSFSR, who lived and worked in Leningrad. He was a member of the Leningrad branch of Union of Artists of Russian Federation, and was regarded as one of the founders and brightest representatives of the Leningrad school of painting, most famous for his genre and portrait painting. More

Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov (RUSSIAN 1894-1971)
Girl in a Football Shirt, 1932
Russian Museum in St. Petersburg.

"Girl in a T Shirtt" (1932) was the first of a series of paintings dedicated to the young Soviet women. Alexander Samohvalov sought to capture the typical features of his contemporaries - energetic, self-motivated, full of optimism and ready for action, working alongside men - in other words, "stop a galloping horse ...".

Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov was born on 21 August 1894 in the town of Bezhetsk, located in the Tver Governorate of the Russian Empire. In 1914, Samokhvalov enrolled in the Higher Art School of the Imperial Academy of Arts in Saint Petersburg

He graduated from Petrograd VKHUTEIN in 1923. Samokhvalov had participated in art exhibitions since 1914, and in 1917 he took part in the exhibition of the Mir iskusstva. He painted portraits, genre and historical paintings, as well as monumental and easel painting, black-and-white art, sculpture, decorative and applied art, and illustrations for fiction and poetry. He produced book graphics from the middle of the 1920s, and began working with scenography in the 1930s at the Bolshoi Drama Theater and Russian State Pushkin Academy Drama Theater in Leningrad and Novosibirsk.

Alexander Nikolayevich Samokhvalov, (RUSSIAN 1894-1971)
Portrait M.G.Filippovoy, c. 1942
Make-up artist of the Leningrad Theater of Drama
Portrait created during the evacuation (1941-1945) in Novosibirsk.
Oil on canvas
110 x 80
Yaroslavl Art Museum 

He was very successful in images of heroes of labour and sport. He was the creator of a significant work of the Soviet Epoch of the 1930s with his painting "Girl in T-short" (1932) (above). In 1937, he was awarded the gold medal at the International Art Fair in Paris, France. At the same time, Samokhvalov took two Grand-Prix awards.

Samokhvalov created many genre and historical paintings by commission. From 1948 to 1951, he taught in the monumental painting department at the Leningrad Higher School of Art and Industry, and he authored a memoir titled «My Way of Creation» (1977). In 1967, Samokhvalov was awarded the Order of Lenin for outstanding contribution to development of Soviet art. More  More

However, three years earlier, Ivan Koelikov had painted Sports Girl, Below.

Kulikov Ivan Semenovich, (1875-1945)
Sports Girl (Fizkoeltoernitsa), c. 1929

In 1929 Kulikov revealed a number of works. Among them was, "Sportwoman". In "Sportwoman" the artist has depicted the girl in a minute of rest. She is dressed in a white shirt with black stripes, emphasizing the elegant lines of the figure. In her hands volleyball. Full of optimism and faith in the future looking cheerful and sociable. For "Sportwoman" Kulikov chose weaver Pan Ivanov. She was a Komsomol factory leader, and later became secretary of the city committee of the Komsomol. In the future, "Sportwoman" was reproduced many times, and in 1939 was exhibited at the exhibition of Soviet art in Philadelphia. More

Ivan Semyonovich Kulikov (13 April 1875, Murom - 15 December 1941, Murom) was a Russian painter, primarily of portraits and genre scenes. He was born to a peasant family that had recently moved to Murom from a rural village. His father was a roofer and house painter who headed a small cooperative that built and repaired numerous structures there.

In 1893, a local teacher became impressed with his drawing skills an introduced him to Alexander Morozov, who spent the summers painting in Murom. Morozov was impressed as well and advised his parents to enroll him in the drawing school at the Imperial Society for the Encouragement of the Arts.

When he arrived in Saint Petersburg, he took a position as an assistant in Morozov's studio. The following year, he enrolled at the drawing school. In 1896, he began auditing classes at the Imperial Academy of Arts.

Kulikov Ivan Semenovich, (1875-1945)
The Spinners, c. 1903

He graduated from the Academy in 1902 with a gold medal, the title of "Free Artist" and a stipend to study abroad. From 1903 to 1905, he used that stipend to visit Italy and France. When he returned, he won awards at several exhibitions, was offered employment as Director of the Kharkov art school in 1912 and was named an "Academician" in 1915.

In 1919, he helped to establish the "Murom History and Art Museum" and headed the art department for many years. In that capacity, he worked vigorously to collect, not only art objects, but documents, books and various historical relics from buildings that were abandoned or due to be demolished; as well as items that were looted during the war. 

In 1932, he became a member of the Gorky branch of the USSR Union of Artists. In his later years, he created numerous canvases and drawings on military subjects. In 1947, following his wishes, his family opened a museum at his home. It was in operation until 2007, when the local authorities closed it and transferred the collection to the History and Art Museum. More

André Derain, (French, 1880-1954)
Portrait de Iya, Lady Abdy, circa 1934-1939
Oil on canvas 
116 x 89cm (45 11/16 x 35 1/16in).
Private Collection

Iya, Lady Abdy (d. 1993), was the first wife of the English ship-owner Sir Robert Abdy (1896-1976). Born Iya Grigorievna de Gay in St Petersburg, she escaped with her family to Finland during the Russian Revolution, before moving to Paris. A striking blonde over six feet tall (Cecil Beaton said she 'invented size') she was one of the bright young things of Parisian society of the '20s and '30s. A friend of Coco Chanel and Jean Cocteau, she was a regular in the salon of the Comtesse de Noailles, and was photographed by Man Ray and Cecil Beaton, and for Vogue by George Hoyningen Huene.

In 1935 she financed a production of Les Cenci by the theatre visionary Antonin Artaud, in return for taking the part of Beatrice Cenci. The play was based partly on Shelley's 1819 cabinet piece on the gruesome medieval story of incest and patricide, and partly on Stendhal's work of 1837 based on his own archival research. Both sources contributed to the shocking subject matter of the play, which was designed to introduce Artaud's brutal theories of the Theatre of Cruelty. Playing from 7 May 1935 over only fifteen performances to a bewildered and uncomprehending public, the only praise was for Iya Abdy's beauty and the sets and costumes designed by Balthus. At about the same time Balthus painted Lady Abdy's portrait in the role of Beatrice (formerly in Lady Abdy's own collection) in which she wears a deep red gown very similar to the one she wears in the present portrait, and which may indeed be the costume Balthus designed for the role. More

André Derain (10 June 1880 – 8 September 1954) was a French artist, painter, sculptor and co-founder of Fauvism with Henri Matisse. In 1895 Derain began to study on his own. In 1898, while studying to be an engineer at the Académie Camillo, he attended painting classes under Eugène Carrière, and there met Matisse.  Matisse persuaded Derain's parents to allow him to abandon his engineering career and devote himself solely to painting; subsequently Derain attended the Académie Julian.

Derain and Matisse worked together through the summer of 1905 in the Mediterranean village of Collioure and later that year displayed their highly innovative paintings at the Salon d'Automne. The vivid, unnatural colors led the critic Louis Vauxcelles to derisively dub their works as les Fauves, or "the wild beasts", marking the start of the Fauvist movement.

In 1907 art dealer Daniel-Henry Kahnweiler purchased Derain's entire studio, granting Derain financial stability. He experimented with stone sculpture and moved to Montmartre to be near his friend Pablo Picasso and other noted artists. At Montmartre, Derain began to shift from the brilliant Fauvist palette to more muted tones, showing the influence of Cubism and Paul Cézanne. 

At about this time Derain's work began overtly reflecting his study of the Old Masters. The role of color was reduced and forms became austere; the years 1911–1914 are sometimes referred to as his gothic period. In 1914 he was mobilized for military service in World War I. After the war, Derain won new acclaim as a leader of the renewed classicism then ascendant. With the wildness of his Fauve years far behind, he was admired as an upholder of tradition. 

The 1920s marked the height of his success, as he was awarded the Carnegie Prize in 1928 for his "Still-life with Dead Game" and began to exhibit extensively abroad—in London, Berlin, Frankfurt, Düsseldorf, New York City and Cincinnati, Ohio.

During the German occupation of France in World War II, Derain lived primarily in Paris and was much courted by the Germans because he represented the prestige of French culture. Derain accepted an invitation to make an official visit to Germany in 1941, and traveled with other French artists to Berlin to attend a Nazi exhibition of an officially endorsed artist, Arno Breker. Derain's presence in Germany was used effectively by Nazi propaganda, and after the Liberation he was branded a collaborator and ostracized by many former supporters. More

Jamil Naqsh (b. 1938, Kairana, India)
Lady Playing Flute
Oil on canvas
102 x 76 cm.
Private Collection

Jamil Naqsh (b. 1938, Kairana, India) is a Pakistani painter currently lives a reclusive life in London. He briefly studied at National College of Arts but left before obtaining a degree. His work is very idealized and sensual.

Jamil Naqsh was born in Kairana, India in 1938, and later moved to Karachi, Pakistan. Naqsh trained as a miniaturist under former NCA professor Ustaad Haji Sharif. He left the National College of Arts without completing his degree as he felt it was the experience not the qualification that was important.

Jamil Naqsh mostly paints women and pigeons. He paints, women, often integrating the elements of horses, pigeons or children.

Jamil Naqsh has also painted Islamic calligraphy in his modern style with unique and bold brush strokes. His particular style of calligraphy is designed keeping in mind the basic elements of art, particularly emphasising on 'line'. More


Jamil Naqsh, (b. 1938, Kairana, India)
Lady Playing Flute
Oil on canvas
102 x 76 cm
Private Collection

True to painterly tradition, Najmi Sura’s work also features women in the company of various musical instruments, which indicate Sura’s preference for women in proactive roles rather as objectified or commodified females waiting for favours. Unlike past depictions of this theme. Najmi Sura’s women come across as confident ladies, despite the ambivalence of their place in court or society, either in an imagined yesteryear or in our contemporary age. More

NIKOLAY STEPANOVICH TROSHIN (RUSSIAN 1897-1990)
Portrait of Olga Deineko
Gouache on paper
88 x 32 cm (35 x 12 1/2 in.)
Private Collection

Olga Deineko  (1897 - 1970) was born in Ukraine and studied at VKhUTEMAS under Ilya Mashkov.  She worked as a graphic artist and designer, and was a member of Society of Revolutionary Poster Designers.  The wife of Nikolai Troshin, she was also well known as children's book illustrator in the late 1920s and early 1930s. More

NIKOLAY STEPANOVICH TROSHIN (RUSSIAN 1897-1990) was an important painter, theater director, poster designer, and chief artist and designer for influential avant-garde journals such as USSR Under Construction. Having studied at Penza Art Institute under Ivan Goryushkin-Sorokopudov and N. Petrov from 1913-1918, Troshin later moved to Moscow where he studied with Ilya Mashkov from 1918-1920. He actively exhibited since 1918, and personal exhibitions of Troshin`s works were held in Moscow and other cities in Russia through the time of his passing. Troshin`s paintings can be found in the permanent collections of the Tretyakov Museum, State Russian Museum, and many other museums in Russia. More


JULIEN DUPRE (FRENCH 1851-1910)
Le lait frais du matin
Oil on canvas
47 x 56 cm (18 1/2 x 22 in.)
Private Collection

Julien Dupré (March 18, 1851 – April 16, 1910) was a French painter. He was born in Paris on March 18, 1851 to Jean Dupré (a jeweler) and Pauline Bouillié and began his adult life working in a lace shop in anticipation of entering his family's jewelry business. The war of 1870 and the siege of Paris forced the closure of the shop and Julien began taking evening courses at the Ecole des Arts Décoratifs and it was through these classes that he gained admission to the École des Beaux-Arts.

In the mid-1870s he traveled to Picardy and became a student of the rural genre painter Désiré François Laugée (1823–1896), whose daughter Marie Eléonore Françoise he would marry in 1876; the year he exhibited his first painting at the Paris Salon.

Throughout his career Dupré championed the life of the peasant and continued painting scenes in the areas of Normandy and Brittany until his death on April 16, 1910. More

VERA VLADIMIROVNA KHLEBNIKOVA (RUSSIAN 1891-1941)
Sun Bathing, c. 1920s
oil on board
40 x 51 cm (15 3/4 x 20 in.)
Private Collection

Vera Vladimirovna Khlebnikova was born on March 20, 1891 in the Astrakhan Province. She was a sister of the famous poet Velimir Khlebnikov.

While living in Paris, she took lessons from Kees van Dongen. In autumn 1913 Vera Khlebnikova moved from Paris to Florence, Italy.

Vera returned to Russia, through England, in August, 1916. Most of the works created by her in Italy were left there, in the house of her hostess. She brought to her parents’ house in Astrakhan only a dozen of paintings that she had managed to fit into her suitcase.

In 1924 she married the artist Petr Miturich. She was buried at the Novodevichy Cemetery.

Her works are kept in the Russian Museum (St. Petersburg), the Astrakhan Art Gallery (Astrakhan), and the Velimir Khlebnikov House Museum (Astrakhan). More





Images are copyright of their respective owners, assignees or others


















Acknowledgement: Bonhams

Images are copyright of their respective owners, assignees or others